Graduate Study in Political Science

The Department of Political Science offers a comprehensive curriculum leading to a Master’s (MA) Degree or to a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). The Department’s Graduate Handbook provides detailed information about the program, including information about the fields available to students, program requirements, funding, and so on. As is the case for all graduate programs in the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences at West Virginia University, applicants must have a 3.0 undergraduate GPA to be considered for admission.

Upon completing the PhD program, many of our graduates have assumed tenure track positions at colleges and universities, including the University of Pittsburgh, West Virginia Wesleyan University, Longwood University, Monmouth University, and Wright State University. In addition, PhD and MA students have assumed positions in government agencies and non-profit institutions, such as the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and the Foreign Service in the U.S. Department of State, upon completion of their degrees.

As noted in the “instructions” on how to apply below, the Department accepts applications on a rolling basis. Except under unusual circumstances, incoming students enroll during the Fall semester of an academic year. The Department will consider applications to its PhD and MA programs into the Summer. However, as noted in the instructions, decisions about funding are made during the Spring semester. Accordingly, the Department encourages applicants to submit all of their application materials by Jan. 15.

Despite this deadline, applicants should know that funding often becomes available during the late Spring and Summer. This is because offers of funding that are made initially are sometimes turned down. If you are admitted to the program (or apply later in the Spring/Summer) and do not get funding initially, the Department will keep in touch with you regarding whether funding will become available for you.

Application Materials

Resources for Current Students and Faculty

Additional Resources for Current Students Seeking Funds for Travel and Research

Fill out the forms below electronically and submit them to Lee Ann Greathouse electronically.